Frequently Asked Questions

Q. I’d like to bring in artists from overseas and want to get approval from the AMA.
A. You need to talk to the Musicians Union – MEAA – or 1300 656 512

Q. I have written a song and want to know what to do about rights, etc.
A. Go to APRA (Australasian Performing Rights Association) or Australian Songwriters Association

Q. I am looking for a reputable music publisher. I have written a new song and the arrangement is also being prepared. I would like to get published widely and in various formats.
A. The organisation that would give you the best advice would be AMPAL – the Australian Music Publishers Association, you will find their information at

Q. I am looking for a music teacher.
A. Australian Music Teachers Registry – or Australian Music Teachers Association –

Also, many retail members of the Australian Music Association provide lessons at their stores or can make referrals to teachers in their area.

Q. I am looking for information about the Retail award I should be under and what that award consists of.
A. Contact the Australian Retailers Association – or 1300 368 041

Q. I am buying a new wireless device but don’t want to get caught buying something that may become redundant. What should I buy?
A. Many wireless audio transmitters currently operate in the spectrum located at frequency range 694–820 MHz. But from 1 January 2015, it will be illegal to use these devices in this range. The main frequency ranges that can be used to operate wireless audio transmitters from 1 January 2015 are 520–694 MHz and 1790–1800 MHz. Go to for the latest information.

Q. I am pursuing a career in the music industry, what positions do you have available?
A. Go to AMA’s job vacancies page to see if there is currently anything available that interests you among our different members. Many retailers and other music organisations typically advertise positions on
Also see our Careers section on this website.

Q. Does the Australian Music Association represent the music recording industry in Australia?
A. No AMA actually represents the musical products (Instruments & techmology), not the recorded music industry in Australia. The key contacts are ARIA (representing record companies) AIR (representing independent record companies) and AMRA (representing Australian recorded music retailers)