Types of membership
Businesses whose primary business is the manufacturer, importing and/or distributing of music products.
Retailers whose primary business is the retailing of music products, that supply directly to the public or the end-user.
Retail and Wholesale membership is tiered, with member fees based on the size of the business. This is calculated by the number of employees.
If you’re not sure which of the above categories best describes your business, the key factor is that the principal activity of your business will determine the class approved. In other words, if the majority of your revenue comes from selling musical instruments to the general public, then you are a retailer. If the majority of your revenue comes from selling music products to retailers, then you are wholesaler.
Are you both a wholesaler and retailer? Contact us if you want to understand this works.
Businesses or individuals whose activities that relate to the music products industry but which fall neither into the above wholesale or retail classes. Associate members can include, organisations, luthiers and makers, repairers, piano tuners, private music studios, teaching businesses, software developers and individuals with an interest in the music products industry.
To apply for membership, please complete this form.
Benefits of membership
- Support the association’s work in advocacy, consultation, data analysis, events, public programs, working with local and international partners, and promoting the industry;
- Receive the Annual Market Report, a comprehensive analysis of the music products industry (import statistics);
- Complimentary membership of the National Retail Association (retailer & wholesaler members), including workplace relations advice, events, resources, and more.
- Listing on the AMA website (people can search for a retailer or product)
- Discounts and other member benefits from our partners, including Officeworks, Marsh, ArtsPay, Qantas, Weekend Warriors;
- The AMA represents you in discussions related to our mission (to be the voice of the music products industry & grow music making in Australia), and through affiliations with important organisations;
- Consultation on key policy issues affecting particular groups;
- Discounted exhibitor stands at AMA events / Melbourne Guitar Show;
- Priority booking for exhibitor stands at AMA events / Melbourne Guitar Show;
- Free or discounted entry at all AMA events, including member networking events and Melbourne Guitar Show;
- Wholesale & Retail members: voting rights and ability to nominate for the AMA Board. The AMA is a not for profit, member-owned association with a constitution allowing for seven wholesale, five retail board members.
- Receive member-only communications & access the member only section of the AMA website;
- Membership stickers for your door/window and website, showing that you have been admitted by the board as a member and that you support your association;
- 15% discount on advertising in Australian Musician
- Job listings and Businesses for Sale shared with our network
- Support and networking as part of the music products industry’s representative organisation.
- Attend AMA events at non-member rates
- Exhibit at Melbourne Guitar Show at the non-member rate
- Subscribe to our industry mailing list, which receives our monthly newsletter ‘On The Wire’